Welcome and congratulations! If you are visiting this page, then you probably have a sweet little blessing that has just arrived or will be arriving soon. Let me express to you how very excited I am that this new little person has entered the world!
Let’s discuss briefly, since that is all the time a parent of a newborn has, how best to capture sweet images of your precious little baby girl or boy. Newborn sessions are usually taken at the client’s home and are typically scheduled in the morning. I love being able to come to your home so that you don’t have to venture out in those early days of adjusting to a new schedule.
I will arrive with a load of baby picture goodness, props, blankets, backdrops, etc. and will evaluate the rooms in your home to determine where we can get the best lighting for the session. I love to quickly look around your home to see if there is a perfect addition to the prop selection. So, don’t stress, I’m not casing your joint, just looking for adding some personal touch to your images!
Here’s your part: (Oh, and I know firsthand that everything is negotiable with a newborn, so do the best you can and don’t stress about the rest!)
- Please have any props, hats, blankets that you would like included in the shoot laid out. (Again, I will be bringing several items so only gather the things your really want included in the pictures.)
- It is fun to get at least a few shots of the nursery if you have one prepared for your new arrival. Please have it tidy and photo-ready.
- Try to have the baby complete feeding about 15 minutes prior to my arrival and in just a diaper when I arrive. We will continue to stop for frequent nursing/feeding breaks as needed to soothe him or her back to sleep. So plan on being close by.
- This one is really important, we want the house warm, warm! Babies love to sleep in a toasty room. If you think you have one room with good light, as in, lots of windows, try to heat that room up. I will be bringing a few other tricks to keep that little one snoozing away.
- Plan on a slow laid-back morning, newborns sometimes make us really wait and work for the right shot. Sometimes there is lots of soothing and waiting on that sweet little one to drift off to sleep.
- If you have a family member or a friend available who can help entertain older siblings, please have them available. Shots with siblings are done first, then it is best if someone can help with them during the remainder of the shoot. Of course, we will do our best regardless of the situation, but it can be really helpful!
Alright, that is what to expect at your newborn session. Now you can enjoy watching your little one steal your heart all over again.